The Healing Buddies™ Comfort Kit™ includes the following techniques to teach kids how to control their symptoms:
- Mental imagery/visualization teaches kids to use the power of their imagination to create changes in physical and emotional activity.
- Relaxation exercises are breathing and muscle control techniques that help kids learn to calm down and balance their body and nervous system. These exercises help to reduce symptoms of pain and nausea, improve sleep and have a powerful affect on controlling and even eliminating worries.
- Acupressure is part of the ancient Chinese medical system and involves applying pressure to “special points” on the body. This in turn releases helpful chemicals and induces nervous system changes that can help to reduce pain, nausea, and anxiety.
- Aromatherapy has been in existence in most cultures for thousands of years, and involves the use of essential oils. By smelling certain kinds of scented oils, kids have another method to control unwanted symptoms or feelings.
- Positive self-talk involves learning to be a “self-coach” and harnesses the power of positive thinking.